Saturday, November 15, 2008
Thayir Vadai ( Vadai in Curd) / Vadai / Dahi Vada
There is not one person I know, who could resist the taste of these yummy thayir vadai. This is a traditional Indian receipe and is served on most important occasions and festivals. The taste of vadai's soaked in the lightly spiced yogurt is delicious. Here's my receipe :
Ingredients for Vadai
Urad Dal - 2 cups
Green Chillies - 6 to 7
Asfotedia - a pinch
Curry leaves - 1 twig
Salt - to taste
For the Curd(Thayir Part)
Beaten Yogurt - 1 cup
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves ( optional)
* Soak the Urad Dal for 1 hour.
* Grind the Dal well for 20 minutes till the dough is smooth. Use very little water.
* Mix in chopped green chillies, curry leaves, asfotedia and salt to the dough.
* Shape into balls with a hole in the center over wax paper or aluminium foil.
* Drop into pre-heated oil.
* Add more vadais and let it fry both sides till golden brown.
If you are just making vadai, the process stops right here. But, a few more steps are
needed to make vadai into 'Thayir vadai'.
* Put the vadais from oil into a cup filled with hot water.
* Let it stay for 5 minutes.
* Turn the vadai gently over so that both sides soak well.
* Now, the vadai's are ready for the curd.
* Transfer the vadai's from hot water to the curd mixture.
Preparing the Curd mixture:
* Splatter mustard seeds, curry leaves and asfotedia in a little oil.
* Add turmeric powder to the oil and pour over beaten yogurt.
* Add salt as needed.
* After adding vadai's, garnish with coriander leaves(optional).